Instructors and Teaching Assistants in the Faculty of Social Science (main campus) may bring their multiple choice examination sheets to the Social Science Technology Services (SSTS) main office (SSC 1228) for scanning. This is a free service offered during regular office hours, providing 24 hour turn around* processing. This faculty based service is restricted to main campus Social Science courses. All others are directed to use the examination scanning services provided by WTS, located on the the first floor of the Support Services Building.
Office Closure: The SSTS Main Office and the Receiving window will be closed Friday, December 15, 2017 11:45 AM to 1:30 PM for a staff holiday event.
There are three options for completing the Scantron Submission form:
SSTS OfficeIf you are coming directly from your exam, don't have time to go online, or you would like assistance, you are welcome to complete and print the form in the SSTS Main Office, SSC 1228.
Complete FormIf you are a GTA or you don't have access to a printer, you can still complete the form online. We will print the form when you bring your exams to the SSTS Main Office, SSC 1228.
*Exams for classes of size 500 or more may take up to 48 hours.
After the exam sheets have been scanned, instructors are encouraged to use Scan Exam-II scoring software, available from our software download web site, to grade their exam. There are Scan Exam-II Help Notes also on this site for both the beginner and advanced user. Overall, the scoring software is straightforward to use and provides very useful feedback to the instructor regarding the performance of the students and the exam questions themselves.
Note: Exam hard copies should be picked up promptly after you receive an email with the attached .dat file of the scanned student sheets.
Before Dropping Off Your Exam Sheets:
Please pre-count your sheets into crossed piles of 50. This is a simple accounting method to ensure that you pick up the same number of exam sheets that you delivered to us. In addition, keeping the exam sheets in the same piles of 50 makes it easier for you to find individual sheets and match them to specific records at times when you need to check for errors during the ScanExam marking process.
TA's, professors, and students need to avoid any extra markings on the Scantron sheet, and only bubble in the answers, the student number, or the 9's for the Master Key, and complete the information requested above the lines. For example:
- Be careful not to have signatures extend into bar codes when signing your name
- No doodles or notes should be made on the Scantron sheet (students could be advised to bring a blank sheet of paper to the exam for doodling, if needed).
- No stapling the corners, as this can also interfere with the bar codes and cause the Scantron machine to reject exams
- Exam codes for multiple versions of the exam should be coded and bubbled in as 111, 222, 333, ....999. No other marks should be necessary.
- If the professor or TA wishes students to note something else on the Scantron sheet, it should ONLY be written in the front top right hand corner.
- Everyone should use HB pencils to mark their sheets (no pens or markers).
- White erasers are recommended for changing answers.
- To speed up the scanning process, it would be helpful if any marks that interfere with bar codes could be erased by the professor or TA before submitting for scanning.